Thursday, December 8, 2011

In the Eyes of Wilhelmina Freeman

In the Eyes of Wilhelmina Freeman

I am reading a book about a young girl trying to find her mother in the Revolutionary War. The story is told from her pint of view .I’m only on chapter 11 of the book,  so I cannot tell you what happens if she actually finds what she is searching for!
What if you were a teen girl in the Revolutionary War? Pretending to be a boy to find the only thing she has left; her mom. The book is told through Willy’s eyes as she goes through many events and struggles to find her mother. She won’t let anything stand in her way so she must deceive everyone to get what she wants most. 
Through situations she was in (such as the first battle when she witnessed her father die) being a girl was illegal to even be there. Willy Freeman almost got killed that night too.  “Please don’t kill me. I’m not a boy, I’m a girl.” To be in those situations scarred her for life. I know I would be too if my Dad got slaughtered right in front of me. Or to have almost lost my life so young. It would have been a completely different story if Wilhelmina was actually a boy; she would be dead this very day.
One of my personal favorite all time movies are She’s the Man. I believe these circumstances are similar because the both are told from the position of a girl trying to make her way through tough situations to get what they want. For Viola Hastings from She’s the Man she wants to things to make the boys soccer team and to get the guy she wants but she has to trick the ones that are close to her. Same as Willy who tricks the guy she is close to though; Horace. They both kind of wing it throughout their journeys never really knowing what is coming their ways.
            Both predicaments would seem different from another main characters point of view. Little things in life can change the whole outcome. Everyone has their own ways of looking at things that's why Wilhelmina's point of view was way different then how I would have looked and worked my way through situations. In the end it boils down to the same thing getting what I want and helping the ones I love the most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment