Friday, January 28, 2011

Deep Water

       Around 1.2 million people die from drowning each year.  That’s more than 2 people a minute. So if this is a real story the person is very lucky to be alive. Swimming doesn’t come naturally.  If it was this person’s fist time swimming it’s bound to be hard. It’s like learning to walk. First you have to be able to roll over, then get on your knees, then crawl. Gradually you learn to use support to get up then, you start taking little steps.  Finally you let go of the support and trust yourself to let go and you’re walking. There is no stopping you then.  You have to practice and keep trying things to get better. Then the thing you are trying will be the easiest thing you will ever do.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The first time I went to swim class I hated it, absolutely despised it.  Water was my enemy. It frightened me beyond belief.  So I thought if I made up an excuse I wouldn’t have to go in. My excuse was, “It’s to cold”. But when my instructor persuaded me to come I would just want to sit on the steps of the shallow end with all of the other little kids who were afraid too.  Then one of the swim instructors would come over and show us how to but our face in the water and blow tiny bubbles. The only thing good that came out of this situation was I was really good at blowing bubbles, and I got a little trophy with m & m’s in it for being at every class. But despite everything of my earlier years I love to swim now. It is such an easy thing for me to do.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   This must have been a horrific experience. Usually when you almost die it has an effect on you for the rest of your life. Sometimes it keeps people from trying it again. I have never had any near death experiences so I couldn’t tell you what this feels like. But I can tell it has effects on you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           In the story “Deep Water” I thought the author William O. Douglas was very brave. After having a near death experience and the going out and trying to swim in Warm Lake. He swam across the channel of the lake and facing his fear. Then it was the easiest thing in the world for him to do. I thought he was very brave for going out and conquering his fear.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Over all I thought this story was very good. It was very descriptive and had nice word choice. But what I admired most about this story was the message. I think the message was if you had a bad experience you need to keep trying because you might learn to love it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment